Mary was a founding Member of the Zita West Fertility Network in Ireland in 2009, which Specialise in all aspects of Fertility from both a medical and holistic view, Zita west is a fertility Expert in London. Mary has also worked and continues to work alongside Fertility Clinics in Ireland.
Mary On TV3 Speaking about fertility
Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) can increase the chances of becoming pregnant. Treatment can help couples focus on their diet, lifestyle and work-life balance along with helping to resolve any any underlying emotional or physical Imbalances that can Impede Fertility. It can be useful for individuals or couples who hope for a natural conception or for those who are undergoing Assisted Reproduction Technology (IVF, IUI, etc.,). Research has shown that having acupuncture treatment in conjunction with ART significantly increases women’s chances of becoming pregnant. It is important to realise acupuncture can be of benefit to males to enhance fertility as it can help improve the quality and motility of the sperm. While 3 months is the optimum time to begin it is never too late to start so begin as soon as you can.
How Acupuncture can enhance fertility.
- Can help Regulate the menstrual cycle
- Can help Regulate hormones Oestrogen, Progesterone, FSH, LH, Prolactin and TSH
- Improves blood flow to the ovaries and uterus
- Improves the thickness of the uterine wall lining
- Improves ovarian function – encourages the production of follicles and enhances egg quality and Ovulation
- Enhances the immune system and reduces Stress and inflammation
- Improves sperm parameters , Sperm count, motility, morphology and DNA Fragmentation ( takes at least 3 months),
- Impotence and Erectile Dysfunction
- Can Improve Unexplained Infertility
- Can help with Recurrent Miscarriage
- Can Help reduce side Effects of IVF drugs
- Reduces uterine contractions after the embryo transfer
Acupuncture and Natural Conception
If you are attempting to become pregnant through natural means, acupuncture can benefit you by balancing the flow of Qi (energy) and blood in the body.
When Qi and blood are not flowing smoothly clots, blocked tubes, premenstrual pain and endometriosis can occur.
Stress is a big factor in infertility and acupuncture can help the body relax while stress management techniques can also be of benefit.
Diet and nutrition are of the utmost importance to both male and females for optimal results in fertility.
Acupuncture and Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART)
For the best results acupuncture should begin at least 3 months prior to Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) procedure.
Generally weekly treatments are advised.
For optimal results a treatment is given 12-24 hours before and after embryo transfer.
What Symptoms Acupuncture can treat in relation to Infertility
- Blocked Tubes
- Irregular Menstrual Cycle
- Premenstrual Cramps, pain and clots
- Lack of ovulation
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- Poor Sperm Parameters count, motility, morphology and High DNA Fragmentation
- Stress and Inflammation
Acupuncture for Male Fertility
Sperm rates globally are falling in the twenty-first century. Sedentary and poor diet and lifestyles in our world today smoking, being overweight, recreational drug use, environmental pollutants, even a ‘food on the run’ diet…. The link between them all is that they produce high levels of ‘free radicals’ or oxidants, which can damage our sperm’s DNA .But….. the good news is that even if men find that their sperm quality is poor, they have a chance to improve it with Acupuncture and diet and lifestyle improvements.
Unlike women who have all their eggs at birth, men make new sperm every few months in a process that takes about 90 days. A program of simple lifestyle changes and treatments can lead to big improvements in sperm quality – including its DNA and lead to conception and the baby of your dreams